Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Spiritual Breakdown of Hozier's "Take Me to Church"

2/19/15 - Spiritual Breakdown of Hozier's "Take Me to Church"

Hozier's "Take Me to Church" is a hauntingly beautiful song which has received quite the acclaim in the music scene including sharing the top three position on Billboard Top 20 for several weeks.  In this post you're going to listen to the song three times.


First, watch this very simple video which follows with the lyrics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0imaSCnSuA

  • What are your initial feelings and thoughts about the lyrics?  See below for the full lyrics:
My lover's got humour
She's the giggle at a funeral
Knows everybody's disapproval
I should've worshipped her sooner
If the Heavens ever did speak
She is the last true mouthpiece
Every Sunday's getting more bleak
A fresh poison each week
'We were born sick,' you heard them say it
My church offers no absolutes
She tells me 'worship in the bedroom'
The only heaven I'll be sent to
Is when I'm alone with you
I was born sick, but I love it
Command me to be well
Amen. Amen. Amen
Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life
Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life
If I'm a pagan of the good times
My lover's the sunlight
To keep the Goddess on my side
She demands a sacrifice
To drain the whole sea
Get something shiny
Something meaty for the main course
That's a fine looking high horse
What you got in the stable?
We've a lot of starving faithful
That looks tasty
That looks plenty
This is hungry work
Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life
Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life
No masters or kings when the ritual begins
There is no sweeter innocence than our gentle sin
In the madness and soil of that sad earthly scene
Only then I am human
Only then I am clean
Amen. Amen. Amen
Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life
Take me to church
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies
I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
Offer me that deathless death
Good God, let me give you my life

  • It seems to be a very "worldly view" of passion and love.
    • The woman in this story is much like an idol.
    • There seems to be a disdain for "the Church."
      • "we were born sick" may be a reference to original sin.
      • "I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies" could be an insult to both those who worship God as well as those in the pulpit and their "lies."
      • "I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife" eludes to a lack of actual forgiveness in The Church.
      • Have you ever been hurt by a church or a "good Christian" which pushed you away from the religion?
      • Did you overcome it?
      • Was that pain reflective of Christ, or reflective of imperfect humans?


    "The song was always about humanity at its most natural, and how that is undermined ceaselessly by religious organizations and those who would have us believe they act in its interests." - Hozier


        "Growing up, I always saw the hypocrisy of the Catholic church.  The history speaks for itself and I grew incredibly frustrated and angry. I essentially just put that into my words." - Hozier (source)
          • Next, watch the official music video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYSVMgRr6pw


          • Take a moment to analyze your feelings after watching that.  What does it make you feel?
            • Sad?
            • Frustrated?
            • Attacked?
          "Sexuality, and sexual orientation – regardless of orientation – is just natural. An act of sex is one of the most human things. But an organization like the church, say, through its doctrine, would undermine humanity by successfully teaching shame about sexual orientation – that it is sinful, or that it offends God. The song is about asserting yourself and reclaiming your humanity through an act of love." - Hozier (source)

          • This analysis isn't regarding one's stance on sexual orientation (so drop the boxing gloves for a minute), however it does pull into question how you might feel that in the last quote "the church" and "act of love" are on opposing sides.  How does that make you feel as a follower of Christ?
          • This video represents an institution, in the Russian Government, which is taking away a piece of humanity.
            • Not-so-fun fact: Legally, in Russia, homosexuality is considered a mental illness and, therefore, such individuals do not have some seemingly basic rights such as holding a driver's license.
            • If popular music represents the stance of the majority and this song is satirical about The Church (and the video somewhat representative of perceived Christian views) then how do we change those views?
          Truth vs. Grace
          • Often times we walk the line of truth and grace.
            • It can be difficult to lean on grace but it is important to remember that Jesus teaches us grace.  We are taught to know truth, we are taught to act in grace.
            • Judgement is not ours.
          • Finally, watch this video which is another way to view the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-tW0CkvdDI

          • How do you feel after watching this video?
            • Hopeful?
            • Encouraged?
            • Notes
              • Notice the openness of the environment he's dancing in: no glass for the windows, no doors in the doorways.  Perhaps a way to encourage open mindedness.
              • At 3:00 "Only then I am human, only then I am clean.  Amen, amen, amen."  Beautiful sunbeams shine in like the fingers of God.  The dancer is on his knees looking up as if giving praise to Him.
          Homework
          • It's simple yet difficult this week: remember not to debate "sin" but to love as Jesus teaches us.  Hold yourself accountable in situations when you may feel an urge to show judgement in the next week, and instead show compassion.
          • Sometimes those things which seem to attack us become a strength for us; let "Take Me to Church" serve that purpose for you.

          No comments:

          Post a Comment